Helpline volunteers answer calls to our helplines from our Auckland or Christchurch call centres. This is an opportunity to learn and work within a highly supportive team with full training and supervision provided. Skills can contribute towards other educational development. In return we ask for a commitment of a minimum of 3 shifts per month as well as a monthly supervision meeting. Shift times can fit around your schedule and can include daytime, evenings and weekends.
Volunteers accepted into our intake training are asked for a $200 contribution towards their training costs. This charge recognises our charity status, and contributes toward the overall cost.
To be a helpline volunteer you need to be:
- A permanent New Zealand resident and within reasonable driving distance of a Lifeline call centre
- Able to express yourself clearly and fluently in spoken and written English
- Able to demonstrate a reasonable level of life experience to suit the needs of Lifeline callers
- Able to relate well to people of all ages, backgrounds and cultures
- Open minded and non-judgmental
- Able to give and receive feedback non-defensively
- Able to make a minimum two year commitment to shifts, supervision and training
- Confident in the use of technology
- Able to provide two forms of photo ID
- Willing to complete an application form, NZ Police vetting form and attend an interview
- Able to attend two compulsory consecutive weekends for intake training
If you’re interested in becoming a helpline volunteer for Lifeline please complete our Online application form.
Specialist Counselling Volunteer
Lifeline provides specialist counselling via its Auckland centre and via online counselling. Qualified and experienced counsellors volunteer some of their time to help those who turn to Lifeline in need of counselling. Counsellors are well supervised and have the opportunity to work with a wide variety of clients. There are also opportunities for volunteer counsellors to participate in ongoing training and development.
If you’re interested in becoming a volunteer counsellor for Lifeline or if you have any questions please complete our online contact form.